In order to use the full features of HP’s Integerated Lights-Out system a license key needs to be added. The process of adding a license is as simple as connecting to the iLO web interface and following the steps in the license section. If for some reason you want to remove the license it’s not quite as simple as clicking a button.
Thankfully it’s not actually that difficult to remove the license, just a pain having to use an extra tool. The steps below show you how to complete the removal in a few minutes.
- Download Putty if you don’t already have it.
- Open putty and enter the IP of the iLO server, select SSH and open the connection.
- Login using the same credentials used for the iLO web interface (username is case sensitive).
- type the following command and hit enter. delete /map1 license
- The command may take 5-10 seconds to complete so wait until confirmation is shown.
Another day another printer issue, this time a HP Laserjet Pro 200 series which wouldn’t install. For the most part I’ve found HP printers to be straightforward to install when used over a network and USB but this Laserjet was anything but.
The first attempt was made using the most recent Windows install package from the HP website but the install process would get to 99% after about 30 minutes and fail. I thought it could be an issue with a component in the full package so tried the basic drivers but the printer still would not install.
I connected to a WiFi network and tried a firmware update which indicated it already had the most recent firmware. When connected to WiFi the printer would install just fine so the issue was just with the USB connection.
The printer has a smart install feature which mounts a drive with install files to make it easy to install. It turns out this feature is what was causing the install to fail. After disabling smart install the printer was detected normally and installed in less than a minute compared to the 30 minutes for the failed attempts.
How to disable HP Smart Install on a HP LaserJet 200 Color MFP
- On the control panel of your printer touch the Setup button
- Scroll down to Services and touch this to enter the next menu
- Touch Services to access that menu
- Again scroll down until you find HP Smart Install then touch to enter
- Set HP Smart Install to OFF.